9.22.2005

Traffic Problems on Harbour Island

Too many golf carts, cars, trucks and SUVs on Harbour Island? Probably. This article details some of the concerns:

Traffic Crisis in Paradise

One source tells me there are approximately 800 carts on the island not to mention there are at least half dozen golf cart rental companies. Bear in mind, Harbour Island is 3.5 miles long.

Wait a sec... Before I go further, allow me to clear up that little bit of trivia. Harbour Island is exactly 3.29 miles long from the top of the reef on the North end to the most Southern point on the island. Just in case you need to know, it is 3.25 miles if you drop the Northern reef. Trust me -- I'm right on this.

As I was saying, Harbour Island is 3.29 miles long. How many carts does one need? Make no mistake, running around the island on a golf cart is a ton of fun and I wouldn't have it any other way... little scooters could be cool too.

I do get a kick out of the handful of oversized SUVs on the island. Perhaps a little too much Americana? I can begin to see a problem if they import a fleet of Escalades to the island. More than anything, I want to see who is going to be first to bring in a Hummer.

There's some mention of wanting full time traffic cops on the island. What I am waiting for is to get a speeding ticket while driving a golf cart on Harbour Island. Or perhaps something less heinous like failure to use proper hand signals, or the most obvious, driving down the wrong side of the road. I would be most happy to pay that fine as long as I get to take the ticket home to show my friends.

Remind me to show you a photo I took which clearly demonstrates what can happen to one's golf cart when when one parties at Gusty's all night.

Copyright © 2005 Perry Joseph

1 comment:

pinknest said...

ohgod i don't remember how many times we started to accidentally drive on the right hand side of the road! those suv golf carts crack me up.